A Proverb a Day

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17

Monday, January 16, 2012

Are You Ready?

... Well, are you?  I'm excited that so many of you have purposed to join me in a brief fast beginning this evening.  Again, what I am doing is simple:  I will enjoy dinner tonight with my family. But after that I will abstain from foods and beverage other than water until dinner tomorrow night.  It's not long.  It's not that involved but it's a start for us.  You can do this.  I know you can.  I plan to take the time I would normally have spent enjoying breakfast and lunch to enjoy some time with God.  I plan to immerse myself in the Word and to pray.  Specifically I am going to talk with God about our church - about direction for the leadership, both the model and the specific people God has selected to lead.  I am going to pray for our missional mindset as a congregation - about our particular emphasis on missions in the month of February.  I'm going to seek wisdom from God about some strategy that will knit us more tightly together as a faith family and that will help us to practically and effectively engage and participate in life as a Christian.  I would invite you to join me in these specific prayer initiatives.  But you may have other things to get with God about.  That's fantastic!  Do that!  Just use the time to make an investment spiritually. And as you experience the hunger physically, develop a hunger for the things of God.  I'll be praying for you as well!  I am anxious to hear about what you take away from this fasting experience.  Please share freely.   If you haven't listened to the messages from Pastor James Macdonald that I posted a while back I would encourage you to do so.  You'll find them here.  I love you all!  God's best to each of you!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the initiative on this. I'm looking forward to seeing what God is going to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have needed the re-focus of fasting not just from food but from some of the other stimuli I feed myself. I have appreciated the JM messages on the discipline of fasting in helping me realize how little room I have left in my "tank" for hungering after God.

    Thanks for the invitation, Pastor Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first when I saw the challenge I dismissed it because I already fast and devote that time to prayer and seeking God. I dismissed it also because I don't advertise my fasting and didn't want to jump on the bandwagon and say look at me. When I looked at scripture and prayed about what you are doing, I realized I would not be doing this before others to see but doing this with other believers for the common purpose of seeking God. As such I am fasting with you, seeking what God has for His people and continuing to seek His will for my life and my family.

    ReplyDelete