A Proverb a Day

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17

Monday, September 26, 2011

The Challenge to Authentic Body Life

This last weekend was formative for me.  My wife and I spent a couple of days in Minneapolis at the Desiring God National Conference.  It was timely and inspiring.  On the not so distant horizon I can see a dynamic shift in my ministry.  God is leading me to be a senior shepherd.  Of this I am certain.  The uncertain parts of it are where exactly, and when.  Currently, the church which I have served for 10 years is without a "senior pastor."  It's been almost nine months.  God has done marvelous things and continues to do marvelous things as He prepares our faith family for what I think will be a deeper, richer body life and function than we have ever known.  It's exciting.  I'd love to lead these people toward a vision and mission that God has given me for something authentic and dynamic - a body life marked by commitment to holiness, passionate an perpetual growth, and biblical, practical function.  My prayer is that God will bring us to a place where we are no longer religiously stoic and static - a place where joy is evident everywhere and is realized through obedience to the mandate that we live the gospel.  I long to be characterized as a congregation by Great Commission living - a people that are reproducing themselves both personally and corporately.  I dream of missional awareness that causes us to be both effective "goers" and "senders" as God's Spirit leads us and allows us.  I beg God to develop in us an attitude of selflessness and deference as we live and serve with each other as brothers and sisters in Christ.  I pray that through all of this that the name of God would be magnified and glorified to the fullest.  Yeah,  I'd love to lead a church like that.... who wouldn't.  I've experienced the joy of jettisoning religion and embracing authentic relationship with Christ.  I desire the same for this flock.................

"Do this Lord.  Please do this here and do this now."

No comments:

Post a Comment